Monday, April 22, 2013

My New Training Paces Are Fast!

The result of my 1 mile time trial this week means I have adjusted my training paces accordingly, and they are about 20 seconds faster than before - which is quite a jump when you have to run them!

my paces are in kilometres, not miles!

This week I had an 8km steady "only just conversational" run scheduled, and I wondered I would manage to run that far at 5:45 - 6:00 pace.  As it turns out I ran a hilly route and my pace was all over the place - from 5:30 to 7:00 - and averaged 6:16.  Next time I will try it on flatter terrain!  My long run on Sunday went a little better and was just within my target pace.

Keep in mind that when I say fast, that means fast for me!  My mile time of 7:45 was repeated 26.2 times over by Skinny Runner who averaged 7:42 in the Boston Marathon.  This really puts into perspective how fast some of you run - I can't imagine running 26 miles at that speed!

Nevertheless, I managed to break another record of mine on my steady run - my fastest 5k is now 30:40.  As usual Nike+ does not let these things go unnoticed:


And to put things into perspective again, Kimberley Smith's winning 5km time at Boston this week was 15:16 - more than twice as fast!  She's amazing.

3 comments:

  1. It's fun getting faster isn't it?!
    Congrats on some faster new trainig paces and a new 5k PR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for getting faster! I think I need to go out soon and do a time trial and see where I am at...how fun! Don't compare yourself to SR; she is a beast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! I'm excited to see your next race time!
    Definitely hard to keep up faster paces on a hilly route!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...