Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Off-Road Skills Session I Forgot To Tell You About

A few weekends ago I took part in an off-road skills training session that I haven't told you about yet!  I didn't take any photos on the day - and a blog post needs photos, no?  So when I was running in the same location the other day I snapped a few shots to have a breather speak alongside my words.


The skills session was organised by TotalSport, the company that produces most of the running events that I enter.  A group of us met in the Auckland Domain one Sunday morning and spent an hour and a half running around it's trails, first learning, and then practising trail running techniques under the guidance of running coach Claire Smith.


We covered things like running posture, cadence, leg action, arm action, balance, and avoiding obstacles - something I found particularly interesting after my trip over a tree root during the Tussock Traverse!  Claire showed us the secret to running quickly and safely over bumpy surfaces like these:






















 - without tripping!

There were loads of other tips to be had, the sort of details that don't usually get a mention in books.  This alone is a great reason to turn up.  One thing we didn't focus on was uphills and downhills, but this is covered in an additional 1.5 hour session - I plan on doing that next!

Have you ever participated in a running skills session?  How did it go?


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun learning opportunity! I need some tips for running over roots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh. This sounds perfect for me! I would really benefit form all the things mentioned above :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds awesome! Will keep an eye out for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lot of fun and a great class to take!
    I often fall when I trail run, so I'm sure I could use a class like this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...