Monday, August 5, 2013

My Quarter Half Marathon

First of all, a big thanks to all who gave their advice on half-marathon training a couple of posts back!  I have decided to keep following the book I have been all along (Fishpool), where the longest run is 11 miles.  The upcoming weeks in this plan look achievable in my post-injury condition (I still get a few niggles and don't trust my leg 100%), whereas the distances in Paula's plan were looking too high-risk too soon for me.  Decision made!


Yesterday's long run called for an easy 10km, so I decided to run part of the actual half-marathon course.  I want to get familiar with the last few kilometres so I can easily gauge how fast to run them on the day - and also so I don't end up being like a child who keeps whining are we there yet?!  It is easy to think that once you come off the Harbour Bridge it is a quick run to the finish line, but there are quite a few twists and turns that take you the long way round - but thankfully it is all flat!


I ran my way through the streets of Ponsonby to the point where the course exits the bridge.  At this point there is just over 5km or about 1/4 of the race to go.  To be honest I felt awful!  It was 3pm and I hadn't really eaten much that day, or drunk many fluids, and there were a few uphills which sucked what little energy I had.  However I survived, as you do, and felt a lot better once I got down to Curran Street and the water's edge (4km mark)


It's a nice run around under the northern end of the bridge, and alongside Westhaven Marina:


Deceptively close to the finish line you turn and run another 2.5km out past Silo Park and back alongside the Viaduct to finally reach the finish line down Fanshawe Street.  I've got to say, I felt a little rush of adrenaline running along there!

However I held back as I still had to run home.  I stopped to refill my water bottle in preparation for the climb up Franklin Road, my first major hill since my ITB flared up.  I managed to run all the way up, but it was such a struggle compared to how it used to feel.  It just goes to show how beneficial a few hills are in your training!

In total I ran 12.2km - more than planned, but it sure felt great and best of all there were no niggles.  So although I ran quarter of the half marathon course, I really ran half a half marathon didn't I?


How was your long run this weekend?
Do you like to recce your race course, or leave it as a surprise? I don't usually check out trail race courses because they are usually in such out of the way places, but the HM course is so close to home.  

9 comments:

  1. Wow, I'd never bothered to check the race map before! I didn't know quite where it went after it left the bridge, but this is all familiar territory for me so it's good to know :) Must check the map to see what happens at the beginning... I always figured there'd be people in front of me that I can follow, so there's not much chance of getting lost. Sometimes I check the course beforehand, sometimes I don't. It depends on the race. What I do check though, is how to get to the start line!! Congrats on an excellent run, so glad your injury is well on the mend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know that even though there can be times when we struggle during a run, we often feel better later in a few minutes. Good idea to run part of the actual half-marathon course! I like to do that whenever I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like to try to run part of the actual course beforehand if I can too. Yay for no niggles, that is a great victory! Looks like a beautiful place to run too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it's going to be a beautiful course! I think it's really smart to run the course if you can, especially the end so you know when to really give it your all!
    With that being said, I don't think I've ever done it! I know a lot of people drive the Ironman bike courses, but I say ignorance is bliss in some cases!
    Glad you're getting stronger! You'll power up those hills in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're here and you're happy and healthy and being your usual awesome self! Someone linked you on Sunni's recent post-good to see you around and doing great. Keep rockin'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah ha! Sherry, great to see you happy & (extremely) healthy; though we miss you in the sewing blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful pictures! Looks like a lovely run! And so glad you ran it pain-free.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I kind of like the course to be a surprise, but I have driven courses before when I've come in from out of town. Our last local race was in an area I run all the time, so I decided to at least let the course be a surprise since the area was so familiar. And there was a surprise hill! Glad you are able to climb hills again without pain. They are really great for training, and to be honest, I miss them in flat (read: boring) races.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on your run. Isn't it crazy how a run will tell you if you've fueled enough or not? I often have that trouble with afternoon runs, but always feel good in the morning. Takes some experimenting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...