Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Return to Judge's Bay

Now my runs are getting longer I'm really enjoying getting back to running some of my old routes.  But there is a particular one that is real a mental obstacle - that run along the waterfront to Judges Bay overbridge, the one where my ITB yelled at me and stopped me in my tracks 3 months ago.

I have to be honest that this running route has been haunting me.  I keep planning to run along there, but inevitably put it off for another day, fearing a repeat ITB flare up.

On Sunday it was one of those beautiful gotta-run-by-the-waterfront days and the temptation was too much:

The Waitemata sparkling in the sunshine - this was the view across to Devonport, with the volcanic cones of Mt Victoria, North Head, and Rangitoto Island in the distance
But mostly I ran it again to finally extinguish the negativity this route has in my mind.  I think that has gone now:


There was a lot of concrete running, but I safely made it to the Judge's Bay overbridge, and here's the photo to prove it:


See it?  See the bridge in the top right of the photo?  There's even a tad in the top left that you can see if you squint...

I know you were wondering, the whole thing looks like this

I did feel a slight twinge in my quad running home - sometimes I wonder if my niggles, which seem to shift around the leg, are just psychosomatic!  I stopped to stretch, and took it easy on the way home, enjoying a few water and traffic light stops and walking up the Franklin Road hill instead.  I ran the remainder, and a cold blast in the shower and some elevation seemed to do the trick, as I felt 100% the next day.

The best parts of the run?
  • Running past the spot at 6km where my knee went into shutdown - without a niggle!
  • Having a laugh with another runner about how hard it was to get yourself in a phone shot.
  • Running past a very old lady in a wheelchair sitting out in the sun - her face totally lit up when she saw me and she said "I used to run!"  I responded with "It's fun isn't it?", and with the utmost enthusiasm she replied "I used to love it!"  Aww...
Are you hesitant to run where you once got injured?
What were the best moments from your runs this week?

5 comments:

  1. Oh good, I'm not crazy! I had the same trepidations about running along Quay Street where I tripped and injured my knee earlier this year, and decided to just suck it up and stop being a wuss. It's the old 'get back on the horse' situation isn't it? Glad you were able to get past your roadblock. So good to see you racking up the miles! And a little bit of encouragement from a stranger, in any form, is always welcome :) Congrats on a great run! The new bridge looks great, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet about the old woman. Awe....
    So far, I have just run on treadmills this week (bleck!) and am looking forward to getting out on the trails again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!

    It's great when you finally have a run, get home and then realise that you didn't think about any niggles or injuries the whole time!

    Best part of my run this week was the final 1/2 mile across a flat sunny an soft grassy park.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous of people who get to run on the waterfront! (I live in a desert and we don't have very much water at all). Glad that you'll hopefully be able to enjoy more now that you've reconquered that route!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for no niggles and a great run. I am a scared to run Peaks to Prairie next year since that resulted in my quad strain, but I really want to, it is such a fun run!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...