Monday, August 12, 2013

Spot The Difference

If you can spot the difference, you'll guess what I bought myself this weekend :)


Saturday was one of those rainy days where you sit around the house getting agitated, so I went for some retail therapy at my local Shoe Clinic.  I tried on a couple of pairs of shoes....

(upon which I will write notes right here and now so I don't get them all mixed up)

  • I liked the turquoise Mizuno Wave Enigma 3 - more cushioned than my Wave Rider 16's but lighter
  • I didn't mind the Ascis Gel Nimbus - but they felt different on my foot.
  • They're getting a pair of Mizuno Ascend 8 trail shoes in for me - I have tried these on in another store (Athlete's Foot) and liked them very much - shall I buy some?
  • I was wanting to try the Mizuno Wave Sayonara's but they're not in New Zealand yet :( 
  • But I see them promoted on the Australian Mizuno site, so hopefully they are on a ship in the Tasman Sea or something...

So, back to the shopping...

I saw the Polar watches by the counter and something prompted me to ask about the Polar HRM that goes with the Nike SportWatch.  Lo and behold, it was right beside him and quite affordable too, especially with my $50 loyalty reward, so out came the plastic and I skipped home all happily retail therapied.

My long run on Sunday looked like this:


Except I did something wrong and it didn't record my distance and pace (around 12km).  When you do it right you get a cute graph of your pace, elevation, and heart rate too - fun!

That peak at the end of the graph is when I power walked up The Steep Hill, where my HR maxed for the day at 177bpm.

Right - off to work out my training zones!
What is your experience with heart rate monitors?  I had a Timex Ironman one for a while, until the watch strap fell apart due to old age.

11 comments:

  1. I have a heart rate monitor but I never seem to be able to remember to use it. :( Is yours a chest strap one? Do you like it? Hope you get to try out the Sayonaras soon, I really like mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a chest strap one, it is really soft and I don't notice it while wearing it, much more comfortable than the old Timex one!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, how fun! A HRM!! Is it uncomfortable? I've wondered if it would be any good having one. The stats would be fun to look at at least :) Congrats on the 12km too, your training is going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stats are fun, especially speedwork ones!

      Delete
  3. Glad you shared about the Mizuno Wave Enigma 3 because I've run in Wave Rider 16's, but not the Enigmas.

    I have a Garmin heart rate monitor. It doesn't bother me to wear, but I don't wear it often. It's interesting to use now and then to see how I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might buy the Enigma's - I came across this podiatrist comment on the Mizuno website , and I have been getting a niggle in the 2nd MTJ in my R foot after long runs in my Wave Riders.
      http://www.mizuno.com.au/running/products/wave-enigma-3-w

      Delete
  4. I used to wear a HRM all the time but the strap always bugged me. I haven't put it on in years but I should just for the fun of it. It's really a great tool to have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh interesting, didn't know you could get one to go with the Nike watch! Will have to investigate that option. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a Polar Wearlink monitor, and works great with the SportWatch - not very expensive either!

      Delete
  6. Hi!! So cool to find another NZ running blogger :) Great blog too, I look forward to keeping up with your running adventures, Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Rachel! I just discovered your blog the other day too - hope the marathon training is going well!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...