Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Start Line

I bought a pair of running shoes on 3 January 2012, and have gradually built up to running 3-4 times per week for 30-60 minutes.  Here I am after my first run!


I used to run quite a bit, but stopped after sustaining a back injury.  Walking became my main form of exercise, but it was rather like being an impatient dog on a lead - all the time I wanted to break into a run!  Now I've fully recovered and have started running again, and it feels great so far!  I just love the wind in my face, the motivated feeling you have after a run, and the freedom of exploring streets and trails around me on foot.

As I progress I have found the need for a running diary, and what better way than a running blog!  Here I can document my progress, trials and tribulations to help keep me motivated.  You are welcome to follow my journey, and if I can motivate others too that would be just great!


You might be wondering why have I named this blog "Run to the Mountains".  Firstly, I think it is wonderfully inspiring - I love the mountains!  Secondly, it is a family joke - of which I was the subject!

My very first running race was at a school sports day as a 5 year old, and I lined up at the start with the other girls my age.  The teachers encouraged us by saying "Run as fast as you can - run to the mountains!"

And so I did. I ran, and ran - and I won!  But I didn't stop there.  To the great amusement of the spectators I ran right through the white finishing line tape and kept on running - running as fast as I could to the mountains way off in the distance, with all the others following me!  I don't remember the parents and teachers stopping us at the other end of the school field, but I do remember being disappointed not to have reached those mountains!

So you could say I've been a keen runner from an early age, but the reality is that I have run in fits and starts throughout my life, I'm strictly a mid-fielder, and hills make me struggle let alone mountains - but I still love to run!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your return "to the mountains!" I will be following this new blog! Inspired, thank you.

    This is my second week to "run." Our 28 year old daughter introduced me to "Get Running," the app, and I LOVE it! I've been saying and saying I would be a runner. Well, at 51, I am and boy! Am I excited.

    I agree: I feel proud, strong, capable and GREAT after a run. I hope I am (and you and your blog are) a powerful inspiration to many!

    Here's to your health... and happy sewing!

    Kelley of Kelley Highway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is exciting! Especially seeing the improvements you make each month and looking back at how far you've come!

      Delete
  2. Good for you. Love the look of the blog, very pretty and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...