Friday, August 31, 2012

RunLog August #5

Tuesday 19 August - 35 mins slow

Squeezed in between work and night classes, this run was more of a tempo run as I was in a bit of a rush and just wanted to get it done!

Thursday 23 August - 30 mins slow

Running along my usual flat-ish route, I concentrated on going slow as I have a long run tomorrow.

Friday 24 August - 60 mins slow

Ran along to the Auckland Domain and around the park, and finished by running around the block to pad out my time to exactly 1 hour.  There are a lot of annoying traffic lights in this direction!

I ran with a small Nike wrist water bottle today - and definitely needed it as it was warm and sunny and I was running mid afternoon:


Here are my thoughts on it:
  • It holds about 200 mls/1 cup of water - just enough to quench your thirst for a 1 hr run, as long as it isn't a hot day.
  • I started out with the bottle worn on the outer wrist, but it wobbled around and I quickly switched it to the inner wrist where it sat quite comfortably in my palm, although it did get a bit sweaty!  The stretch towelling strap held the bottle in place comfortably without having to clench the bottle hard.
  • The extra weight on one arm might annoy you, but that is only while the bottle is full.
  • When half full, the sound of the water sloshing around inside is a bit annoying/distracting.  I know it's a minor detail, and I suppose you could always drink up! 
  • The wrist band fits me well, but if you have small hands it might be too large.  However you could easily stitch it tighter if necessary.
  • It is looks alright, and is reasonably discrete, and inexpensive at $20.
  • Time will tell if I use it regularly or not, as it isn't the perfect solution.  When my runs get longer I plan to get a camelbak or fuel belt, but until then I think this will be handy for shorter runs where I can't guarantee there is a drinking fountain en route, or where I know I can top up at a certain point.
If you have one of these water bottles, what do you think of it?  If not, what is your favourite way of carrying water for your long-ish runs? 

4 comments:

  1. Coincidentally, I was just researching running backpacks last night! My runs are getting longer, and I thought it might be a good time to look into water/gear carrying options. So unfortunately I have nothing to contribute to this discussion, but I'd be interested to see if anyone else has opinions. I'm thinking camelbak too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the wrist bottle idea. I run with my phone (MP3 player and GPS) in one hand, a water bottle in the other would balance me out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that little water bottle! I've never seen the wrist holder before. I think that would be perfect for me, as I get annoyed with waist fuel belts and hate big hand-held bottles. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It end to dislike carrying anything in my hands for very long while running so I use a waist belt for my water bottles, or a backpack for longer runs. That is a cute size though and looks comy to carry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...