Monday, September 9, 2013

Half Marathon Training Begins

Half marathon training officially started last week!  My ITB is not yet 100% but it appears to s-l-o-w-l-y be getting better rather than worse.  I'm disappointed that my endurance hasn't progressed during this time but I'm persevering onwards regardless!

My weekly schedule looks sort of like this:

Monday - Rest, Exercises
Tuesday - Speedwork, Runner's Pilates
Wednesday - Rest (or easy 40 mins)
Thursday - 6-10k steady
Friday - Rest, Exercises
Saturday - Easy or fartlek 40mins
Sunday - Long run, Yoga sometimes if I am organised enough to get up and along to Lululemon by 8:30

Tuesday's speedwork is generally a few repeats of either 400m, 800m or 1000-1200m.  I did 1200m for the first time this week and it was fun to go a bit longer.  I wasn't sure how fast to go so I ran them around 5:15 pace which is slightly faster than my 5-10k pace.

At the moment I think my body prefers training 4 days a week rather than 5, so I have been resting on Wednesdays instead of doing an easy run.  That extra recovery day seems to keep the niggles at bay. Of course this change to the plan has been helped by the fact that it was pouring with rain when I got home the last couple of Wednesdays...

This Thursday's steady 8km was run with my husband.  I intended to run around 6:15 pace, but with him out front and me trying desperately to keep up we ran more like 6:00 - and it felt pretty good.  My leg was a bit tetchy after the last hill, but it felt good after I lay down on the floor with my legs up the wall, some ice and sleeping in my compression socks!

For Saturday's fartlek session I decided to run hills, and I tackled a new route I invented called Western Springs Trails.  It serpentines up and down all the steep streets and trails around Western Springs out and back - a total of 5 climbs!  I'm going to be honest and admit I walked most of the uphills - I look forward to the day when I can run this challenging course with gusto!

I always enjoy Sunday's long run - it's a chance to extend the boundaries, explore new parts of town, and I try to stay off-road as much as possible.  Today I ran once again with hubby - over to Pt Chevalier Beach:


When the tide is out you can run right around the coast - one day I will do this!


I've been wearing my heart rate monitor on long runs to make sure I stay in the right training zone and I'm pleased to announce that 86% of yesterday's workout was under my target of 165bpm.  I can assure you that is a lot lower than it was watching the first America's Cup races!

And according to Nike+ I ran my fastest 10k while trying to run that slow.  Err - really?  I've never done an actual 10k road race (trails, yes) - so maybe I should!

What is your weekly running schedule like?
Do you give your regular running routes names?
What paces do you use for your speedwork training?

9 comments:

  1. Looking good!!! Gosh yes, that half marathon is sneaking up pretty quickly isn't it, less than two months to go now! At the moment I'm only running three days a week, but I'd rather it was four. I'm trying to run two long runs and one short one to make up for the missing day, and fitting in yoga and a bit of cross-training on the other days (when I'm not being lazy!) I haven't done any speedwork training other than some strides, don't think I'd be much good at it to be honest. And I've never really thought to name my usual running routes. I lack imagination ;) So glad to see your training is back on track - long may it continue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cross training is a great idea, and something I should consider for Wednesdays. It might be time for me to learn to swim properly!
      You should try speedwork - it works and you don't have to sprint full speed! I checked the McMillan calculator for my recommended paces.

      Delete
  2. Lately, I've decreased my running miles quite a bit, trying to heal my leg before the marathon in 4 weeks. I had been running 5-6 days a week with 2-3 harder workouts and the rest easy ones, alternating easy/hard days. Sorry you're not fully healed, but glad it's not getting worse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4-5 days of running a week is perfect for me. Any more and I start to dread running days or I'm just too fatigued to put effort into each run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of only running 3-4 days a week. This seems to be the right balance for me to keep injuries at bay! And so far, it's working beautifully for marathon training. I cross train 2x a week (usually lap swimming) and take one day completely off. If I'm feeling worn out, I'll skip my 4th run and take another rest day. I can't wait to hear about your run along the coast. Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful beach that would be to run! Good work on your training. Sounds like you are learning a lot about yourself during the marathon training. YES! You should do a 10k- and then get a massage! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. My weekly running has been non-existent due to injury. Happy to report that is changing today!! Typically I like 3-4 days of running.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great schedule! Definitely listen to your body and take that extra rest day!
    I hope you pain stays at bay! It looks like you are taking care of it nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually run 3 days and cross train 3...maybe I'd run more if I had an awesome beach like that! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...