Sunday, September 15, 2013

Getting Faster

This week I had a 1 mile time trial on my schedule - the aim of this is to gauge progress/race/speedwork times while not exhausting yourself with a full on race.  I really didn't feel up to it, but jogged along to the Domain anyway, to run the Sri Chinmoy Peace Mile.

After a few stretches I took off around the course, aiming to stay under 4:45 pace for the whole way so I would beat my previous time.  I glanced at my watch and it was around 4:20, and I didn't think I could keep that up, but then I got to a nice bit of road and wow - I felt like superwoman!

Over halfway now... just keep moving...concentrate on breathing...

And then it hit me.  The wind.  The real reason I felt like superwoman in the second quarter was because the wind had been at my back, and as I circled the course it was now at my front - and it was strong!  I tried not to let it slow me down, but it wasn't long until I was struggling along at a snail's pace.


I felt like I recovered a bit towards the end, but that must have been all in my head because my pace doesn't look like it picked up at all!

So - a disappointing finish, but I guess the wind assisted me in the beginning and it all balances out.  I still managed to run my fastest mile!


That's an improvement of 9 seconds from my time trial back in April.  Not a huge gain, but I have been injured in that time and I think I could have run faster without that wind!  I also managed to run my fastest kilometre at 4:31.

The first thing I did when I got home was check out the McMillan Calculator for my updated training paces and target race times:


The half marathon prediction is tantalisingly close to sub 2.  I don't know how realistic that goal is - the thought of running at 5:47 pace for 21.1km seems far fetched to me, even with a couple more months of training!

Do you ever use the McMillan Calculator?  Are the race prediction times accurate for you?



6 comments:

  1. Yeah, that wind on Sunday was a bit of a pain! Looks like you're doing great with your training. And you may surprise yourself with the half marathon. Fingers crossed it's a good running day for you, and you manage to hit your target :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on shaving time off your mile! I do use McMillian although the longer distances have not matched my shorter races very well- I think I need a lot more weekly mileage to match the marathon prediction time from my 5k! But it is good as a general guide- I bet you can get close to the 2 hour mark!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!! I hate running into the wind. No fun at all. I know a bunch of runners who use McMillian and it's been a good guideline for them. I'm planning on using when I start training again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great time trial! I've used the running calculators before and found them pretty good up to the half marathon distance. After that I think it's hard to predict accurately. I would use it as a guideline and add a buffer on either side of your goal time. Don't get hung up on the exact time but use it as a guideline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job on the time trial! I think the calculators do pretty good they are fairly accurate for my up to half marathon and then it all depends on what kind of day I am having :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...