Sunday, September 22, 2013

A Day in the Life of Me

Today I'm linking up with Jill and Angela with their fun idea to share a peek into our daily lives - not just the running part!  This is my day last Wednesday:


My alarm (aka my Nike SportWatch) goes off at 6am, and I'm lucky enough to live with a coffee addict who willingly springs out of bed and brings me a coffee in bed each morning!  I usually have a quick flick through some blogs before getting up and getting ready for work.  I'd like to say I have a super organised morning routine, but to be honest it is a mad rush having showers, finding clothes, and making lunches, to get all of us out the door in time!

I work as a patternmaker in the fashion industry, and it is a job I love for both its creativity and technical aspects. For every new design that is created a new pattern has to be made, and that is where I come in. Working closely with the designer and production team I spend my days creating and perfecting patterns - cutting shapes out of paper and cloth, overseeing the making of prototypes, fitting, and readying the final pattern for production.  All good fun!



I'm home by early evening and if it is a run night I head straight out the door for a run.  Currently Wednesday is a rest day for running, but it also happens to be the day I take an evening sewing class at the local school. After some speed housekeeping and an equally rapid pasta/tomato/tuna/olive dinner (with hopefully not too much garlic!) I arrive at class and spend the next couple of hours helping everyone with their sewing projects. Teaching is really satisfying as everyone discovers new things, and it is interesting how each person learns so differently.

When I get home it is my bedtime but I've found I need to wind down a bit after the night class. This often means a Milo or glass of wine and some running blog reading and writing, before lights out at 9:30pm - I need tons of sleep!

Apart from the sewing class that is a typical day for me!

5 comments:

  1. I love reading about people's day-to-day lives instead of just the running stuff!
    I think your job is the most fascinating I've heard in a long time! How did you get into it? Do you sew a lot outside of work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abby - I have sewn clothes for as long as I can remember, and got into my field after a stint at design school, starting at the bottom and working up!

      Delete
  2. Loved reading about your typical day! I need a TON of sleep too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about everyone's days too! And I too am fascinated by your job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that's what you do for work- so cool!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...