Thursday, January 3, 2013

2013 - The Trail Ahead

During the year I have been building a list of running must-do's in my head, and with the New Year underway I think now is the right time to write them down - just in case I forget!  So this is what I have planned for 2013:

(Disclaimer - this list is subsequent to change, addition or elimination, according to life events, injury, chauffeur resistance, or inability to decide what to wear)

Run TotalSport events whenever I can:
I have really enjoyed every TotalSport race I have entered, and the next event on their calender is often what encourages me to lace up and head out the door - I'm going to do as many of their Great Events in Stunning Locations as I can squeeze into my life!


Participate in Jill's 13 in 2013 challenge
There are close to 13 races planned on my calendar already - why not do a couple more so I can display this cute badge on my blog!  I plan to do mostly trails, and add a few road events into the mix to round up the numbers.


Auckland Round the Bays Fun Run - 10 March
This iconic fun run is one of the world's largest with 70,000 entrants - a flat 8.4k from the CBD winding around the waterfront to St Heliers.  If you live in Auckland and run, it is a no-brainer!


Total Sport's Xterra Auckland Trail Run Series - May to September
A series of 6 events through forests and parks around Auckland, culminating in the Xterra Trail Challenge Waihi in October - my type of fun!



Unitec Run/Walk Series - July to October
This is a build up series of six races aiming towards the Adidas Auckland Marathon and Half Marathon. Luckily the dates don't coincide with the trail run series above!

The Adidas Auckland Half Marathon - 3 November 
This is the major goal for my year - to run a half marathon.  I don't have a time goal yet but closer to the event I will think of something.



Remain injury free
I am sure this is every runner's goal!  Having my niggly knee has emphasised to me how important it is to look after yourself if you want to run forever, so I will try to be diligent about my stretching and strengthening exercises. Injury prevention is better than cure.

Try some Yoga and Pilates
Following on from remaining injury free, I'd like to try Yoga (so many of you swear by that!) and Pilates this year.  I might start with some free yoga sessions at Lululemon, and the Pilates for Runners at my local physiotherapist sounds worthwhile too.

Check out some running groups:
There are lots of run groups around and I'd like to join something to widen my horizons.  Options are local neighbourhood run groups, my local Lululemon group runs, the YMCA marathon club Sunday long runs, plus others!

PBs:
Like everyone else I would like to improve my times. The goals I have set aren't high, but I will continually shift the goalposts once they are achieved!
5k time under 28 mins
10k time under 60mins
half-marathon - just finish
I also like a percentage goal - I tend to finish in the top 30% in my trail runs, let's see if I can sneak into the top 25% next year!

Purchases Investments:
The perfect sports bra - I love my Lululemon TaTaTamer, but I've dropped from a C to a B since I purchased it and they don't seem to stock B's in NZ (which is funny because the 12/34B bras anywhere else seem to be the first to sell out). While Christmas shopping I spotted some Shock Absorber bras that looked good, so must go back and try them on as soon as possible.
Also - I think I desperately need some trail running shoes.  Red ones just like this:



Right - I better stop now or I won't get any running done!
What are your plans for 2013 - do you have any new challenges on the horizon?

3 comments:

  1. That's an impressive list of goals! I'm sure you'll achieve every one of them :-) Those trail shoes look awesome too btw, totally worth the investment, you seem to run quite a few trails. Something I hope to do but never seem to get around to... Might have to sign up for that Round the Bays Fun Run too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to see you so happy and dedicated to your running. I used to follow your sewing blog and remembered that you started running again at the beginning of the year. Very inspirational! My knee really prefers me to walk, but I'm a little older than you and you've made me miss running. Excellent and impressive work!! Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Fitness Friday and 13 in 2013! Yay, someone else with the goal of 13 trail races! There aren't many of us in the group :) I'm looking for trail shoes now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...