Wednesday, September 19, 2012

RunLog + 100km


Since I purchased my Nike Sportwatch, I've run 100km in these shoes:

They were white once upon a time!
What I'm really surprised at is how quickly those kilometres accumulate.  As these were bottom-of-the-range shoes rather than top-of-the-range, I probably should be looking around for a new pair!


Tuesday - 10mins slow, 4 x 3 mins brisk with 3 min jog recoveries, 10 mins slow

I'm going to have to start writing my speedwork sessions on my hand or something, because I forgot what I was supposed to be doing and only did three repeats:


And should I be trying to run at a consistent pace for each one, or does it not really matter?

Thursday - 35 mins slow

Usual route, concentrated on going s-l-o-w.  In fact I overtook two mothers out walking with a young boy who ran next to me for a few metres, he suddenly stopped and said "Mummy why is she running so slow?!"  I didn't hear her reply, but I'm sure it was something like "She's working on improving her aerobic endurance honey, so she can run a really fast marathon one day".

Saturday - 30 mins steady

Today I felt really good running my usual route, and when I realised that I was running about 6:10 pace I decided to keep it up and try to break my Nike+ 5k record - feeling the need for some totally self-indulgent ego-boosting.  I'm sure this has nothing to do with the young boy's comment on Thursday.


I finished in 31:23 - remarkably close to the 5k time predicted using the McMillan Calculator (31:16).  I don't know how realistic my goal of running under 30mins is next weekend, especially if there are hills (hills to this beginner are anything above a gradient of 5%!)

Sunday - 45 mins slow

Today I ran all the way up Chinaman's Hill, slowly but surely, but I did it.  Once upon a time this wasn't such a challenge for me so it is good to accomplish this goal again, and a real confidence booster going into my 5k next weekend - where there may or may not be a hill!

That's my week - how was yours?  How often do you replace your running shoes?  And do you love hills or loathe them?  I think they're a necessary evil, but always feel great after knocking one off!

2 comments:

  1. I'm hopeless at replacing my shoes. I had a cheap, nasty pair I'd bought when I started running (as I wasn't sure if I would continue) - they ended up lasting me over two years. Having said that, I probably should've replaced them way before that. My current pair of Nikes have done over 400km, and I'm pretty sure they need replacing. The left shoe squeaks, and it's getting pretty annoying. I have a fairly new pair of Asics, designed for trail running. Although that's been put on the back burner while I recover from my knee injury. I think a good rule of thumb is about 400-600km for a high-end pair of shoes. Or when you feel they need it.

    As for hills, I hate them! That doesn't stop me from running them with a grim determination that they not beat me. I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I manage to run a hill. Like Richmond Road. Give that sucker a try ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I replaced my last shoes when I got a blister on a 5k run. I figured I had been running for months with no blisters, so it was time for a change. I went to a running store and got fitted for my latest pair, which I love. From now on though I'll probably just order replacements online.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...