Monday, November 12, 2012

RunLog + My Knee + A Physio Appointment

Tuesday - 10 mins slow, 3 x 4 mins brisk with 4 min jog recoveries, 10 mins slow

Wednesday - rest, or 30-40 mins slow
I rested :(
All day my knee niggled me at work (where I stand and move around a bit) and by the end of the day I thought this was no longer a minor niggle to keep an eye on, but something that needed to be sorted.   It was so gutwrenching hard not to stick to my run plan, but for the first time I felt running on my knee was not a good idea.

Thursday - 10 mins slow, 25 mins fartlek.....
No running today either.  Although my knee felt better after a day at work in more comfortable shoes (yip - I wore my old running shoes to work!), I was still favouring it slightly and it felt wrong to run.  I made an appointment to see a physio after work - I want to nip this in the bud so I can run forever!

The good news is that I can still run!  I do need to avoid hills at the moment until I build up a few extra muscles on the R side that are weaker than my L.  This week I have to do wall sits targeting my R vastus medalis:

.....40, 41, 42 43, 44, 45, 50, 55, 60 ;)

and clams for my R gluteus medius, of which I will spare you the photo!  The physio also recommended foam rolling my iliotibial band, and gave my R hip flexor a good prod because it was tight - ouch!

Friday - 30 mins slow
Friday is usually a rest day but I was trying to make up for my lack of running during the week - besides, I've been given the green light!  During this run I did notice that I was favouring my knee a bit on downhills, must mention this to the physio next week in case it is relevant.

Sunday - 60 mins slow
Initially I was planning to run Mt Eden this weekend, but as you can guess Mt Eden is a hill and I have to steer clear of them at the moment.  Instead I ran along the Ponsonby ridge to St Mary's Bay and around Pt Erin then backtracked a similar route home.  I felt good and it was lots of fun!

The Week:
I'm pleased I went to see a physiotherapist about my knee - even though it is only a minor niggle I don't want it developing further.  As I said, I want to run forever, and also have secret plans to run the half marathon next year.  Thanks to my blogging friends who offered advice and encouraged me to go!
I'm at the end of a four-week cycle in my training, and the next four weeks will basically be a repeat but with increases in time and repetitions along the way  The following eight weeks are building towards a 10k, so I suppose I better start investigating 10k races around three months time!


2 comments:

  1. Ooh those clams are nasty! I had to do fifty in a row, they get pretty hard after a while. My stretches and strengthening exercises have been slipping, and its starting to show (knee niggles again!) Good luck with yours, and for the increase in distance. I think I'll be scaling mine back again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you were really smart about your knee pain.
    I think I had the exact same issues last year so still continue to do my PT exercises to it doesn't come back!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...