Saturday, November 1, 2014

Tomorrow I will run

This training cycle has been a real mixed bag, where I've experienced both the highs and lows of running in a zig-zag fashion.  There has been a lot of inconsistency and missed runs due to injury, Arthur's Half recovery, even travel to a funeral, but also some nice long runs and a couple of confidence boosting tempos - which is what I'm going to have to focus on tomorrow to keep all my negative thoughts at bay.

One morning down south we managed to fit in a nice 10km rural loop - lots of newborn lambs :) 
 My niggling foot that I never told you about flared up big time on my 18km run 2 weeks ago and I haven't run since.  Let's call it a forced taper.  I visited a podiatrist (prerequisite - had to be a runner!) and he doesn't think it is bony which is reassuring, but I have some foot biomechanical issues he'd like to sort out after this half marathon.

If you had've asked me a week ago I would have said it was 90% likely that I wasn't running tomorrow, but magically over the last few days my limp has disappeared and the pain has gone, and my foot suddenly feels the best it has in 6 weeks.  Podiatrist guy is happy for me to run, and so the decision is made - tomorrow I will run!

But my confidence is flat.  My legs feel like their arterioles have degenerated. I've spent the last 2 weeks moping around the house, and u-turning into a positive race mode is not happening quickly.  I need to think happy thoughts, go pick up my race number, soak up some pre-race atmosphere, get my gear ready, and make a race plan!

*****

So I did:

It was a sea of yellow bags outside the Viaduct Events Centre,
although this snap doesn't really do it justice!

The obligatory shot of my name on the race car...

The souvenir T-shirt is nice this year - it fits!
I don't think I'll be running a sub-2.  I'll be taking it easy to begin with to see how my foot handles running again, and ramp it up a notch if I start feeling confident.  My guesstimate time is 2:06:15 - well that's what I put on the Tauranga Half competition, if I get that I win an entry!

Let's leave with some positive thoughts:

  • I'm looking forward to the ferry trip over to Devonport in the early morning - it's kind of surreal!
  • I'm excited about Steven running his first half marathon!
  • Go Michelle - I hope you get your sub-2!
  • Looking forward to seeing Jody volunteering at the finish, yes I might need you to remove my timing chip for me!
  • Luke will be waiting for us at the finish - if he get's up in time!
  • I'm happy that I can run at all - really :)
  • The support from YOU!  Little things like "run strong" from supergeneric girl and "good lucks" from across the Tasman really help when you're feeling a bit down!
  • Anna Frost left this quote on her facebook this week - "Think easy, light, smooth and fast" - that's tomorrow's mantra :)




3 comments:

  1. YOU CAN DO THIS SHERYL!!! Don't worry about your time, just try your best to enjoy the day and have fun. It will be great. See you at the finish line!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will surprise yourself!! I know it!! I've been there, and sometimes the run-just-because-you-can approach is the best feeling one.
    Enjoy each moment of getting to run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little late here for good wishes, but hope the race went well and that your foot behaved!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...