Monday, January 20, 2014

Summer Running

I officially declare it too hot to run in Auckland.  Every run lately has been a suffer-fest, so I advise that everyone stay at home in air conditioned comfort rather than attempt feats of endurance outside.  

running skirt, knobbly knees, and Mizuno WR16's #2
Today I wore my HRM to make sure I took it easy on my long run (short 12-13k taper version), and I can assure you that my HR was about 10bpm higher than usual. Especially when I saw all these people lazing around doing things like this:

Pt Chevalier Beach
Do they not have anything better to do?  I briefly considered what their heart rates might be but that only made me feel hotter, and look at the blatant cheek of this person:


...So you get the picture - today's run wasn't great.  I'm starting to think I've over committed myself with next weekend's 26km off-road run.

Full of negative vibes and convinced I would be walking most of the Tussock Traverse, I turned down a road for home and saw this sign speaking to me:


 Race mantra sorted :)

10 comments:

  1. Good luck for the Tussock Traverse! Haven't run it yet - and will miss it again this year - but I hear it's a stunning run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vera! I hope you get to run it one day soon!

      Delete
  2. That is a great sign to see at the end of a not to great run. Good luck with your run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually I hardly take notice of advertising billboards, but this one was looking right at me!

      Delete
  3. Running in the heat is the worst! I hope that after you ran that you had a chance to laze around like the people on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turns out it was only 25C, but I really felt hot to the core, and yes we did go to the beach later!

      Delete
  4. That sign is definitely a sign AND a great race day mantra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can't get it out of my head now!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on completing the 26km Tussock Traverse!! I knew you could do it!! I think I just missed your finish though, by about a minute. We caught the bus back to the village at 1.45pm :( It would've been good to see you come in. Well done on a fab time, way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks - it was hard but fun! I looked around for you at the finish, but I knew it was a long time for you to wait. Hope you had fun and I can't wait to read your report!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...