Monday, August 25, 2014

Goal Setting vs Injury


As I begin training for the Auckland half marathon this week, I am hoping that I can still reach my goal of a sub-2 time. I get really annoyed at the stupid injury that prevented me building a solid base over the winter months.  That would have been handy.
 

But instead of dwelling on that, I get out my trusty foam roller, and do another set of clams and bridges to keep my ITB happy.  And I try to think about how my first half felt kind of easy and how I know I can do so much better.  And as I run up my local hill that happens to be a similar grade/distance as the Harbour Bridge, I actually pretend it is.

When I'm really desperate, I thank goodness my injury even happened - after all, technically I am more biomechanically sound than before!


At the end of the day you can only do what you can do, and I'm definitely not giving up on my sub-2 goal. Lately I've built up my mileage to around the same level as this time last year.  I hope to run more kilometres in training this year - via longer long runs, and an extra day of easy running thrown in during the week. Last year I felt like longer speedwork intervals benefited me more than the short ones, and I also felt improvements with tempo runs so I'll make sure to include them regularly too.  As well as regular runs up my local "harbour bridge" :)

Let's see how I go!


Do you think I can do it - drop 11 minutes off my time from last year?
If you're a half-marathoner, do you have any special tips?
What's your favourite half marathon workout?

10 comments:

  1. If the last half marathon felt kind of easy and you get in some good tempo runs and Harbor bridge runs, I think you have a great chance at getting sub-2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tina. Get yourself a couple good mantras and a good playlist (if you run with music)
    Do not start out too fast, in fact make it feel a little slow in the beginning and let everyone go by as they start out too fast. Remind yourself to run your own race, and then start to ease towards goal pace and by the end try to be ahead of goal pace while passing everyone who went out too fast. That is my favorite strategy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favourite strategy too - I think I got it off you!
      I haven't run to music before, but have thought of trying it recently just to see how it works for me. It could be motivating - or totally distracting!

      Delete
  3. That photo of you and your foam roller is the cutest!

    I tried a bunch of times for a sub-2 and finally got it earlier this year. This is the plan that helped me: http://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/half-marathon-specific-training/

    I think the key was doing a lot of my runs at or near half marathon pace, which got me used to sustaining that pace over a long stretch. The other part was mentally preparing for the tough stretches of the course and executing on race day... which sounds like you're already doing with the visualizations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link Jen! I've been wondering about my long run pace lately - need to do more half marathons to experiment!

      Delete
  4. As frustrating as ITB injuries are they really do force us to "correct" a few things and be a better runner. Hope the training goes well and might see you at the start line in November! Where is your Harbour Bridge hill? I could do with some practice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we must have a blogger meet-up prior!
      The 'harbour bridge' hill I run is Chinaman's Hill - the stretch of Great North Rd between Western Springs and Grey Lynn shops - might see you there!

      Delete
  5. I def think you can go sub-two. I knocked 11 mins off my half marathon time a few years ago so it can be done. Things that worked for me were tempo runs and specifically alternating slower and 'tempo' miles in my long run. ie...mile 1 - normal, mile 2 - tempo...all the way up to 12 miles. I am sure that doing that moved me closer to my goal. And what Jen said about holding HM pace for longer stretches. You kind of have to teach your brain what it feels like to struggle but to keep going. It made a big difference. You've totally got this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement! I love tempo runs and felt they did a lot of good last time!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...