Sunday, October 27, 2013

Longest Run - Done!

Last weekend I ran the longest run in my half marathon training - 18 kilometres.  It was actually 17.75, but I backtracked and ran around a little bit more just to get this number on my watch!

Longest run EVER!
I decided to do a bit of a dress rehearsal for the race.  I wore exactly what I plan to wear on the day and all went well.  I did buy a new pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 16's and decided to break them in on my longest run ever, which may have been unwise but two weeks out from the big day they urgently needed breaking in.  They were fine, no blisters or anything, I love my Wave Riders.

My Thorlo Experia socks were a bit sweaty though.  They are great for winter running but I might keep looking for the perfect summer-humid-climate running sock.  Who ever knew socks could be so important!  Even though I don't plan on wearing it on the day, I also trialed my newest most exciting running acquisition - a hydration pack (more on that later).

Another part of my dress rehearsal was to run the first half of the course.  This involved catching the ferry over to the race start at Devonport:

See you in a couple of hours Auckland City!
I had planned to get up early to emulate race day, but after mucking around a bit and then just missing a ferry and waiting around for half an hour for the next one, I finally set off running around 9am.  Oh well, I'll make sure I get there early on race day!

We drove this part of the course the weekend prior, and I was a little nervous about the hills.  They must look bigger from a car, or maybe I had built them up into something they weren't, because they were easier to run than I expected and I felt a lot happier in my mind having conquered them.

My favourite spot was Narrow Neck Beach, where some kids were getting ready to go out sailing at one end:


and a man was walking his dog at the other, except I missed the dog from the shot...


The course winds it's way to Takapuna then through the back streets to the 9km mark where it turns onto the motorway - this is where I turned around and ran back the way I came:


I took three gels around 5km, 9km and 14km.  Not sure if I'll take that many on the day, but my stomach handled them fine so I know that I can if I need to.  Vanilla Bean was a bit sweet - nothing surpasses my faves Espresso Love and Peanut Butter!

This is only my fourth or so run over 13-14km, and one thing I notice is how in the zone you get with the repetition of running, especially on roads where your pace is more consistent.  My knees felt a bit tired for the last couple of kilometres, but I kept plodding along, knowing that if I stopped I might not get started again!

It is a big confidence builder running 18km, because now I know for sure I can run a mere 3km further and make it 21km.  Race day - bring it!

5 comments:

  1. You did great! It's so beautiful there, I just returned from the Rock N Roll Los Angeles race expo, the smog was so thick you could hardly see the mountains in the distance. I'm jealous ( In a good way :) ) of your picture perfect conditions! Sounds like you are more than ready for race day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had to take a ferry to the race start. That might add a whole new reason for race day anxiety for me! You're smart to practice everything before race day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! And yay for the knee holding up! You'll be great in the half!
    I am totally jealous of where you run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on a great training run! Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics with us. Makes me want to jump the next flight to New Zealand and go for a run with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! How exciting! Best of luck for the half! Hope you love every second of it! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...