Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Baby Steps

My Physio suggested I go for a short run/walk on Sunday - on the flat, run 1 minute, walk 1 minute, 15x, with a good warm up and cool down.

So I did.  I was champing at the bit to go, and to try out my new shoes!


I ran for 9 repeats, until my lateral quad began to tighten slightly above the knee.  It was only slight, but I took it as a sign to stop.  It probably didn't help that it rained on me and my running capris froze.


There will be other days.
There is no sense pushing.
If I did 15 repeats I might have aggravated it and be really annoyed.
Instead I did 9 repeats, tonight my knee is behaving, and I am only slightly annoyed.
Baby steps...

*****

Update:
I had another physio session tonight, and my naughty lower quad got a really tortuous massage and acupuncture - ouch!  He is not too worried that I didn't complete 15 repeats, and I get to run on Friday again, stopping only if I get pain.  Yay!

I can't wait, this no-running is starting to get to me.  The first week I didn't mind as it was cold, wet, and windy.  But lately I've felt unmotivated, blobby and a bit down. Obviously in need of endorphins!



5 comments:

  1. So smart you listended to your body and cut it short! I love that you said you feel blobby. That's a perfect description of how I feel when I can't run!
    Good luck on Friday's run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting out there! Good on you for cutting it short, I'd have kept going and made my injury worse. I'm such a dork sometimes ;) I know how you're feeling, but don't get too down, it will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard to listen to your body, especially when you're itching to get back to running, but definitely the smart thing to do. I've pushed it before and it's so not worth it for an extra mile or so to end up injured for weeks! Baby steps but you are getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last summer I had a knee injury. I kept trying to "test" it out which didn't do me any good. Eventually I learned and baby steps is what gets you healed. Good luck on getting it back to running!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a recent cross-over reader from Paper Scissors Cloth. Glad to see you are still blogging! I saw your running-reading post--another option is Haruki Murakami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. I'm out with a back injury, so perhaps I'll re-read it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...