Tuesday, December 11, 2012

RunLog + What I'm Reading

I bought this book in the weekend and I'm really enjoying it - Running to Extremes by Lisa Tamati:

Please excuse the post-gym pre-shower photo!
I'll try and do a review when I've finished, but if I'm a bit slow in that regard I can tell you now that this would make a great Christmas present for anyone interested in Lisa's adventures around the world as an ultramarathoner!

It has been a busy few weeks for me as I juggle 1.5 jobs, running, my physio exercises, and regular visits to the gym in an effort to maximise my month's free membership - sometimes I've felt like a full-time athlete!  Here's what I've been up to:
(warning: three weeks in one post!)

Week 1
Monday
Gym - cycling 30 mins

Tuesday
10 mins easy, 20 mins fartlek
My legs felt a bit tired because I increased the resistance on the bike yesterday - a bit too much obviously!

Wednesday
30 mins easy

Thursday
Gym - workout routine + cycling 20 mins
One of the personal trainers at the gym designed me a workout routine and ran through it with me today on the equipment.  Most of it is upper body strength work - biceps, triceps, deltoid, lats, pectorals - with some core exercises (planks, crunches) and the leg press.  I plan to do it about 3x/week for the duration of my month's free membership.  I can't decide whether I like or dislike the gym, it is such a culture shock to me!

Friday
Physio appointment - exercise progressions and acupuncture
I have variations on the wall sit, raised leg bridges and single leg bends to work on over the next two weeks.

Saturday
Today was the Speight's West Coaster 6k Adventure Run
My knee held up great!  It felt really stable and I didn't favour it running the downhills.

Sunday
Long run - 60 mins
Slight knee niggle afterwards - probably overdone things a bit with a race yesterday followed by a long run today...

Week 2
Monday
Gym - cycling 20 mins and workout

Tuesday
10 mins easy, 1/3/5/3/1 mins fast (~5:30) with equal jog recoveries, walk uphill home

Wednesday
30 mins easy

Thursday
Gym  - cycling, workout, and run home
My physiotherapist suggested going for a run after cycling for some reason I can't remember, hence the run home today.  As it happens he is a triathlete - do you think he is trying to convert me?!

Friday
Rest - much needed!
The truth - R arm bicep curls using a full champagne glass :)

Saturday
35 mins easy
Finally figured out why my SportWatch hasn't been connecting to satellite all this week - because it was set on shoe pod!

Sunday
70 mins easy - Meola Reef
This time I ran right around the perimeter of the peninsula, and came to a gate across the path, so I went through and whoops - found myself inside the dog exercise enclosure!  I'm not that comfortable around strange off-leash dogs but I convinced myself that owners who took their dogs to such places were undoubtedly responsible and their dogs would be too.  And I was right - I suffered no dog attacks or scary moments and I actually quite enjoyed it and will take the same route next time.  Conquer your fears!

Week 3
Monday
Gym - cycling 30 mins, workout
I have to admit that after my first gym workout my upper body muscles were sore for a couple of days!  Now they have settled down and this workout felt quite easy, I might increase some of the weights or repetitions where I feel I can next time.

Tuesday
10 mins easy, 3 x 5 mins brisk (~6:00) with 4 min jog recoveries, 10 mins easy
I think I need to increase my pace in my speedwork sessions as they feel a bit easy.  I have a time trial coming up soon and will calculate my training paces from that.

Wednesday
40 mins easy - Western Springs (green, windy paths, fun) and NW cycleway (grey, straight, flat, laborious)

Thursday
Physio - massage, acupuncture and more exercise progressions - variations on the bridge and single leg bends.  I'm sad to say this was my last physio appointment!  Most people would be happy to see the end of their physio, but mine is so nice I've actually enjoyed going even though he sticks elbows into my hip and needles into my legs!  One thing that matters a lot to me is that he took me seriously even though I'm a beginner - I will definitely revisit him again if I have any other injuries that need sorting.

Friday
Rest

Saturday
35 mins easy, with strides
Ran down to Cox's Bay, then stretched, and ran 3 rugby fields fast with rests in between, trying to concentrate on form.

Sunday
75 mins easy
I loved my run today and felt I could go on a lot longer.  I ran along Ponsonby Road, down Jacob's Ladder to the Wynyard Quarter and back up Franklin Road to home.  I scouted around a bit trying to find a water stop to top up my little Nike water bottle (found some at Victoria skate park and Wynyard info centre) and took a GU Triberry gel around halfway.  I thought the GU Triberry was less sickly sweet than the other gels I've tried, and look forward to trying some more flavours over the next few long runs.

Wow - if you read all that you deserve a medal!

Have you read Lisa Tamati's book, or any other good running books?

Are you wary of strange dogs while you are out running too?

Wouldn't a map of Auckland's water fountains be handy?  (Maybe there is one on the council website)

Happy Running!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sherry, you're so focused with your fitness, it's inspiring . I go through phases of keeping fit, but unfortunately it never lasts very long. My biggest problem is not being able to run alone because of my fear of dogs, and it's not always possible to find someone to drag along with me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...